5000 Orchard Park Circle
CA 95616, USA
129 Everson Hall
University of California, Davis
One Shields Ave.
Davis, CA 95616
- Hands on experience on twin screw extruder, SEM, WAXD, Instron, Rheometer, DSC, TGA, FTIR, etc.
- Strong background in polymer processing, characterization and testing
- Strong background in polymer synthesis (Emulsion polymerization)
- Strong management and problem solving skills
- Excellent skills on independent work, teamwork, and working under pressure.
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering with a Designated Emphasis in Biotechnology
University of California at Davis, September 2002 - Present (Expected December 2007)
- Specialization: Chemical Engineering, Polymer Chemistry & Protein Chemistry
- Thesis topic: Novel Modified Polymeric Substrate for Solid Phase Peptide Synthesis and Biological Assay
- Advisor: Dr. Gang Sun & Dr. Kit S. Lam
B.S., Chemical Engineering
Nanjing University, China, September 1998 - July 2002
- Thesis topic: Process Control and Optimization for Several Salts Preparation
- Advisor: Prof. Bisheng Rui
For Dr. Kit S Lam and Dr. Gang Sun, UC Davis, January 2004 - Present
- Combine biotechnology with chemical engineering and polymer science to develop novel solid supports for solid phase synthesis, biological assay and enzyme immobilization.
- Raise new ideas of developing planar support based combinatorial synthesis and encoding method.
- Develop polymeric substrates in various forms which can be successfully applied on synthesizing peptides and binding biological molecules.
For Dr. Tonya Kuh, UC Davis, September 2002 - October 2003
- Pursue the research on Biosensing Membrane. Prove the possibility of applying polymer self-assembly and photolithography techniques on developing protein-imbeded biomembrane-based biosensor.
Chemical Engineering Laboratory, UC Davis, Fall 2003
- Supervise and teach the lab of general chemical engineering experiments
General Chemistry Laboratory, UC Davis, Winter and Spring 2005
- Teach the general chemistry lab skills and lead the discussion
Nanjing Jinling Chemical Plant
Nanjing, China, October 2001 - December 2001
- Study the industry production of powder-form lead oxide, Calcium Stearate and Barium Stearate
- Design optimized production process for industry production of Calcium Stearate & Barium Stearate to shorten production period and reduce the material, energy consuming.
- Structure-Function Biomolecules
- Membrane Biology
- Statistic Thermodynamics
- Advanced Engineering Mathematics
- NMR Spectroscopy
- Optical Methods in Bio-Research
- Molecular Cell Neurobiology
- Polymer Fiber Science
- Advanced Mass Transfer
- Advanced Fluid Mechanics
Written and Speaken proficiency in both English and Chinese
Memberships and Awards
- UC Davis Summer Research Fellowship - 2003
- Member of American Institute of Chemical Engineers since 2004
- Member of American Chemical Society since 2006
Abstracts and Presentations
- Xiang, Bei; Sun, Gang; Lam, Kit S. Novel modified polymeric fabric /fiber as solid supports for peptide synthesis and biological assay. Abstracts of Papers, 232nd ACS National Meeting, San Francisco, CA, United States, Sept. 10-14, 2006 (2006), PMSE-387. CODEN: 69IHRD AN 2006:864335 CAPLUS
Hobbies and Interests
- High-tech electronics